Updated: Apr 1, 2021
Ashwagandha is an ancient medicinal herb used in Ayurveda. It helps the body manage stress, reduces cortisol, lowers blood sugar levels, boosts brain function and helps combat symptoms associated with anxiety and depression. We’ve listed the top ten health benefits of Ashwagandha below:
1. Aswagandha, otherwise known as “Indian Ginseng” is Sanskrit for “smell of the horse” which refers to both its ability to increase strength and its unique smell. It is one of the most important medicinal natural herbs in Indian Ayurvedic medicine and has been used for thousands of years primarily to relieve stress, improve concentration and increase energy levels. It has also been shown to fight inflammation and tumour growth.
2. Studies have shown Ashwagandha effectively reduces blood sugar levels in people with and without Diabetes. It has also been shown to increase insulin secretion and improve insulin sensitivity in muscle cells. In some cases it has been argued to be as effective as oral diabetes medication.
3. Studies have shown Ashwagandha to be effective against several types of Cancer. In one study, it reduced tumour growth and prevented metastasis, the spread of Cancer to other organs. It also impedes the growth of Cancer cells.
4. Cortisol “the stress hormone” is released by the Adrenal glands when blood sugar levels get too low and when the body is under stress. Studies have shown Ashwagandha supplements may reduce Cortisol levels in chronically stressed individuals.
5. Ashwagandha helps to reduce stress and anxiety.
6. Some studies have shown Ashwagandha helps to reduce severe depression in individuals.
7. Ashwagandha helps boost testosterone levels and increases sperm quality and fertility in men.
8. Ashwagandha has been proven to increase muscle mass, increase strength and reduce body fat in men.
9. Ashwagandha helps to reduce inflammation which is linked to heart disease. It may also help reduce the risk of heart disease by decreasing cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
10. Ashwagandha supplements may improve brain function, boost memory, reaction times and the ability to perform tasks.